FSS issues advisories to fisheries cooperatives federation for W50b investment loss
简介The Financial Supervisory Service, South Korea's primary financial regulatory body, has issued ...
The Financial Supervisory Service, South Korea's primary financial regulatory body, has issued management advisories to the National Federation of Fisheries Cooperatives after losing approximately 50.1 billion won ($37.5 million) it poured into an alternative high-yield overseas investment, as revealed by industry sources on Sunday.
The NFFC, the umbrella organization for regional fishers' cooperatives throughout the country, reportedly lost the entire principal amount of its investment without taking any further action, raising concerns over the federation's investment and risk assessment practices.
Upon evaluation, the FSS issued to the NFFC advisories concerning nine matters requiring caution and five matters needing improvement to bolster the federation’s due diligence procedures for foreign investments.
In 2018, the NFFC made an overseas investment valued at $40 million dollars. By 2021, due to borrower defaults, NFFC saw impairment losses of $21.3 million in 2020 and an additional $16.5 million in 2021.
Thus, the NFFC recorded the entire 50.1 billion won investment as a loss.
The FSS highlighted NFFC's shortcomings in risk assessment, noting issues like an inappropriate loan-to-value ratio and the absence of documents verifying business progress. The regulator emphasized that the NFFC lacked accountability and measures to prevent recurrence following the failed investment.
In addition to the investment advisories, the FSS suggested improvements in the cooperative federation's risk management, particularly addressing sudden cash outflows and asset-liability mismatches.
The FSS also criticized the categorizing of nine NFFC cooperative loans for solar power projects as "normal" although construction had been stopped.
The FSS further reprimanded the NFFC for its internal controls. Although in 2014, the FSS had recommended a compulsory leave system that requires that key employees be granted leaves of up to five days during audits to detect financial discrepancies, the NFSC hasn't ordered such leaves.
South Korea’s mobile app store operator One Store said Tuesday that it has secured an investment wor ...
South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol will embark on state visits to the United Kingdom in November a ...
Patients will have to pay up to 50 percent in additional charges when they go to hospitals or pharma ...
- [Korea Beyond Korea] In Paris, soaring demand for Korean studies yet to be fully met
- S. Korea’s consumer sentiment turns sour in September: BOK index
- 민주당 새 원내대표에 친명 홍익표 “이재명과 총선 승리”
- Trilateral talks open on Korea
- [Our Museums] Discover wisdom of hanok at Eunpyeong History Hanok Museum
- Intangible cultural heritage exhibitions, performances head overseas
- 김영호 통일장관 “북러 군사 무기거래 깊이 우려…불법행위 중단하라”
- Tving streams 2023 MTV VMAs
- S. Korea to extend $5 mil worth of fertilizer aid to Ukraine via U.S. agency
- Expressway traffic congestion persists on 2nd day of extended Chuseok holiday
- Seoul's financial assistance for egg freezing receives attention from single women
- [From the Scene] Whimsical circus workshop offers fun workout
- NewJeans hits 1 bln streams mark on Spotify with debut album
- 민주당 "영장 기각은 사필귀정…尹 머리 숙여 사죄하라"
- N. Korea stipulates nuclear force
- 2023 LoL World Championship to entertain esports fans
- [Today’s K
- Samsung Biologics raises annual estimated earnings to W3.6t
- Show must go on: 28th Busan International Film Festival kicks off despite setbacks
- 임명직 마다한 장제원 의미심장 글 "발톱 숨기고 때 기다린다"
- SKT’s AI
- [Herald Interview] When ‘comedy freak’ filmmaker makes rom
- S. Korea mandates flexible pricing in supply deals to protect SMEs
- Zandari Festa kicks off with local, foreign indie bands
- Apple under fire for ‘overpriced’ iPhones
- Sunmi to return with new digital single ‘Stranger’
- Hyundai Glovis to go net
- Hyundai Ioniq 7 may start production in July next year
- Doosan Robotics shares debut at double IPO price
- Seoraksan cools below freezing as autumn takes hold
- Fan meeting offers 'Break Time' for 'Dream Academy' trainees on their way to debut
- BTS' Jungkook to extend solo parade with 1st album 'Golden'